Wednesday, February 29, 2012

                                                         ASPIRATIONS:                                  


         I can't help but feel like aspirations aren't nearly what they used to be. In a generation where so many fields of expertise are available, I can't help but notice somewhat of a regression. I tend to see a resounding majority falling for the same professions: either rapper, actor, or professional athlete (and the like). The world is in desperate need of new aspirations. I have FAR too many friends who send me their rap videos, all hoping for the same success. I mean no disrespect to what they hope to accomplish, but I feel that there are many various fields of work that are impoverished and starving for the same number of aspiring rappers that there are  in the world. What the world needs is more hands-on innovators, like architects, physicists, and biochemists. Those are the impractical fields that the world would likely be in a better shape in, had they been as populous as the more common aspirations.I must admit that I, too, have recently become somewhat of a statistic. For the longest time now, I've wanted nothing more to become a Game Designer, yet in recent years, the fledgling game industry has skyrocketed, and the position is now considerably mainstream.
     It's odd, though. A child's aspiration never tends to stay the same over the course of his or her life. Their mind is constantly wavering to make a match with something of interest that aligns perfectly with their strengths and passions. Yet, it tends to be the case that once you have reached the solid age of 20, little variation is likely to happen afterwards. I honestly wonder why. I attribute it to a sense of comfort that one finds in familiarity- the daily ins and outs of the workforce that become so routine that one gets a mental sense of "muscle memory" for what they're doing. Had it been otherwise, I would venture to say that young adults would dare to be more ambitious, and cast aside their current occupations of menial tasks like secretary, or cashier (unless of course that is originally what you aspired for). My undying belief in mankind is also coupled with my undying belief that the world constantly needs progress. And personally, it's hard to find that the case when an overwhelming majority finds solace in the same area of work. More people need to branch out. Perhaps I should be the first to take my own advice and look into other promising fields...no guarantees, however...
   

No comments:

Post a Comment