Friday, July 13, 2012

                                                                 LUCK:          


Oh, what luck. You just so happened to catch me on the day of our nation's bad luck. Friday the 13th (hold for eerie music). I've had a 9-day long blogger's block, which is unusual because my haitus..es (I suppose that's how you'd pluralize that; haiti would be odd, because it's spelled just like Haiti. I digress.) are usually caused by my general complacency that swarms over me in a gentle summer breeze. This time around, the hiatus was caused strictly by a lack of material, which I find perpetually perturbing, seeing how my mind blabbers on at 1000 miles per hour. Luckily, (see how it keeps working its way into the conversation?) I figured today's focus was a perfect jumping-off point for discussion. Today is a good opportunity to recap my luck as of lately and wholly.

     Lately, my luck has been a wishy-washy tumble of mostly bad luck met with glimpses of good luck. On the bad luck spectrum, we have: has not yielded any results involving employment AT ALL this summer, friends have consistently bailed on plans, hasn't seen a gig in weeks (I'm starving for some noise), and has frozen up every time I have an opportunity to talk to Her. Conversely, on the Good Luck spectrum we have: managed to secure my stay in Maryland for Otakon, fixed Fall Quarter schedule mishap, has a surplus of money in his college account after finally making all the right moves, has wonderful friends that keep me sane, has a boatload of exciting media (games, shows, movies) keeping me entertained in the meantime, and has been cranking out a lot of good lyrics in the songwriting department.

    Wholly, however, optimistic claims of luck tend to clash with the cynical. On the Bad Luck spectrum, we have: father ran off before I was ever born, is born from a mother who was abused by said runaway and became viciously hostile to all life forms and cares only of herself, born into a dirt poor family, has endured several years of physical/emotional/psychological abuse, and had a monumental dark day on my 15th birthday that forever changed my life. On the up-and-flipside: I am a fully-functional human being born on the planet Earth and gets to live in the 21st century. Honestly, people tend to overlook this omnipertinent fact - you could've been born a single-cell organism in a different galaxy, in which you have no sentient thought process, or life activity except for internally. I live in a day and age of unparalleled tolerance, (in comparison to prior ages; we still have a vast number of things that folks are intolerant of) freedom, mobility, open source usage, and access to technology that our forefathers would have never conceived possible. We're exposed to millions of different foods, musics, walks of life, cultures, languages, and for the most part, we've come to a point in humanity where we can meet a stranger from just about anywhere in the world and bear little hostility (again, for the most part). There are innumerous facets of luck that I have failed to mention, but this overarching, all-powerful fact remains what I feel I am most lucky to possess. As flawed as society may be nowadays, it is the apex of civilization in terms of communication and progress. And I couldn't be luckier.

No comments:

Post a Comment